Position is responsible for the overall architectural guidance and technology selections for the Porch Technology Stack. You will work with executives and product management leaders to develop a deep understanding of the Porch business & mission. You'll be accountable for the selection and adoption of new technology and our engineering practices/patterns. You will be deeply involved in product planning and road-mapping exercises to stay out in front of the business, deriving new solutions that maintain and extend porch.com product delivery capabilities. You'll need to organize and manage our software quality metrics, provide visibility to leadership and champion a sustainable balance of quality, cost and speed. Qualified candidates must be expert in agile methodologies (We Practice SCRUM @ Porch). To be selected, you'll need to demonstrate excellent leadership abilities, strong technical acumen and experience as a leader in consumer product delivery environment.
- Responsible for creating/maintaining positive engineering culture in a fast paced startup environment where ambiguity is embraced rather than managed
- Responsibility for working across teams and with other technology leaders that result in coherent approach/execution of suitable technologies and system architectures
- Encourages and fosters ongoing professional development with direct reports and other technical individual contributors
- Provides feedback to other engineering leadership with respect to performance feedback for individual contributors during annual personnel reviews
- Empowers teams to meet the product and project objectives using agile software development methodologies and good engineering practice
- Coordinates with other engineering leaders to ensure minimize inter-team dependencies
- Champion Porch's evolving standards for DevOps, code quality, and service orientation
- Contributes individually or in pairs to general coding effort
Experience/skills - technical
- Expert in Java, J2EE and JDBC
- Minimum 12 years’ experience in software engineering/development
- Minimum of 5 years practical experience designing and building service oriented enterprise architectures in Java
- Demonstrable thought leadership/experience with Enterprise Architecture and specifically Master Data Management
- Experience with Credit Card Processing Gateways
- Experience integrating content management systems
- Strong understanding of multi level caching strategies and implementations
- Previous experience with attaining and maintaining PCI/PII compliance
- Exposure to Data Science as a discipline and familiarity with predictive modeling and machine learning driven data classification
Experience/skills - other
- Demonstrable history of working in various size organizations ranging from Startups to Large Enterprises
- Minimum 3 years’ experience leading a team of 8-20 software engineers or other technical specialists
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in an agile software environment (particularly XP or Lean)
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field with preference for candidates with graduate level degree(s) in computer science or mathematics.
We're a startup with a big vision. We're out to solve the pain that millions of homeowners experience regularly as they try to select a home service professional that they can trust.
The home remodel and repair industry is highly fragmented and local. So a solution is going to need big data. As such, we're a smart group of passionate techies that's focused on bringing order (and dare we say delight) to an age old, recurring problem.
We believe in Beautiful Products, Relentless Customer Focus and Team Before Individual. We practice the lean methodology and believe in data driven decision making. We're always looking for the right people to add to the team and thrive on diversity (of views, experiences, skills, passions, etc.).
Sound like you?